Monday 26 April 2010

Favourite Films - A Scanner Darkly

The films mentioned on this blog will be my favourites due to how visually stunning the film is and not because I like the story, but with A Scanner Darkly it is actually both. This film is one of my favourite films in my collection because of so many reasons, the story is very clever, how the film was made and the fact it is just one of the most visually weird yet entertaining films I have seen in a long time. I am not going to go into detail about the film as this is not a film review blog; I will just run through why I think this is such a visually stunning film and how it was achieved.

Lately I have been looking more into mixed media collaboration, such as model making and photography, illustration and graphic design and many more. This film is no exception; it is a collaboration of film, photography, illustration and animation and with all these different creative industries coming together we have this fantastic eye-catching film. The whole film was shot over six weeks, and then handed over the animators who spent the next fifteen months on it.

What I really like about the film is how they have combined both film and animation to create a film that is aimed at the older generation not an animation aimed at kids. The film has many subplots and the story itself has a few twists and turns throughout. The film is based on a book that goes by the same name and I have not got round to reading the book as of yet but the film and book are defiantly both worth a look at. This film, a few illustrators and a few photographers out there have started to make me think about doing collaborations with some of the other courses at the Arts University College of Bournemouth and see what we get.




No comments:

Post a Comment